[pct-l] Resupply

In a message dated 3/15/02 5:59:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
socrboy79@yahoo.com writes:

<< I ... want to contact
 these post offices / resorts or whatnot to find out if
 their printed hours are still accurate.  The problem
 is that many of these numbers are wrong or are just
 not working for some reason.  Is there any plane where
 I can find an updates list of either their phone
 numbers or their store hours so I know when to pick up
 my packages? >>

For post office info, go to www.usps.com and click on the post office locator
tab.  On the form that comes up, fill in the zip code or town name.  Where it
asks for your home address, put in "General Delivery".  It will return the
PO's street address and phone number.  Some cautions:

Some trail PO's are contract offices and don't appear in the USPS database.
But you can call the nearest PO that IS listed and I've found them to be very
helpful in giving info for the contract stations in their area.

Also, do not rely on the maps on this site.  They are in most cases
inaccurate or just plain wrong.  I've seen PO addresses such as "100 Main
Street" (obviously a central address) shown on their maps and listed as "12
miles north of town".  The address was correct.  Don't rely on the rest.

The "800" number for the postal service has NO reliable info about anything.
They are in some undisclosed location, in another state in every sense, and
haven't a clue about what is happening at some small PO near the trail.  That
doesn't stop them from giving you wrong information in order to justify their
existence.  Get the number for a local postmaster and call him or her.  You
will get courteous and accurate info.  Understand that, if they're busy, they
may not answer the phone immediately.