[pct-l] Giardiasis

What I find amusing about the whole filter debate is
this fact: How many out there wash their hands after
doing #2 and before eating in the backcountry?

We see many ads for filters, but not one telling the
benefits of simply washing your hands with Purel (or
something similar).  More than one study has shown
that lack of proper hygiene can cause all kinds of
nasty things, both in and out of the backcountry.

Doubt we will see that in Backpacker/Outside Mag
though.. :-)

It is why I seldom treat my water..but use Purel on my
hands religiously after using the backcountry bathroom
and before eating. Ramen noodles are interesting
enough without some extra bonus germs to go with the
MSG pack. :D

=====