[pct-l] entrance to crater lake.

Jeff wrote:
> He told me that it was illegal to hitchhike in the
> park.  It was also illegal to walk on the road from the post office to the
> rim.

Nope you're not making it up.  I arrived at the lake southbound and spent
the night at Lightning Spring.  It was Sept 10.  On the morning of the 11th
I walked the rim trail to Rim Village.  It was a beautiful morning, and the
lake was iridescent!

I jumped off the trail at Rim Village and inquired about transportation to
the post office.  I kind of expected there would be a shuttle bus.  Nope
nothing like that...  I walked to the road, stuck my thumb out, and spent 20
minutes watching white haired people in Lincoln Town stare as they drove by.
A park ranger stopped and told me the rules; I explained the obvious
dilemma, and she offered me a ride.  That's how I heard about the terrorist
attacks of Sept. 11.  It was an emotional day.

It's ludicrous that a national park has rules against hitchhiking and
walking, but no shuttle service.  It just didn't occur to them that someone
would actually visit Crater Lake without a car!!

Happy trails, Tom

Hobbit's Hiking Pages ( http://friends.backcountry.net/rogers/ )