Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:15:05 -0800
To: "Mike DiLorenzo" <dilorenz@hotmail.com>, pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
From: Brick Robbins <brick@fastpack.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Re: tinidazol in tijuana

At 11:37 AM 3/12/02, Mike DiLorenzo wrote:
>i recall a post from you on the pct-l from months or even years ago where
>you mentioned tinidazol and purchasing it in mexico rather than using
>flagyl or some other dea approved medicine.
>
>i recently placed a post on the pct-l inquiring as to the ease of
>purchasing this drug in tijuana, but had no response.
>
>perhaps you can comment on where in tijuana i can find tinidazol?  the
>name of a store, how to get there, was it a hassle, etc.

Here is how:

Take the San Diego Trolley from downtown to the border with Mexico. I do
this instead of driving. It is easier (and cheaper - $5 round trip) than
parking near the border. http://www.sdcommute.com/service/trolleypage.htm

Walk across the border into the first pharmacy you see. Or wander around
and go into any one of several dozen between the border crossing and Ave de
Revolution, they all have tinidazol. A box of 8 pills (two doses) runs
around US$3.00, so shopping around just isn't worth it. Some pharmacies
will bargain, but is it worth it?

The brand name on the box I have in my medicine cabinet is "Trinigyn"  but
there are others...

You can bring back up to 50 pills for personal use without a prescriptiona
ccoring to http://www.customs.gov/travel/med.htm
Since tinidazol is an old, and well known drug, it falls under the "the
product is considered not to represent an unreasonable risk;" category.

If you buy 50 pills, but your personal use needs change after you get
north, I'm sure any surplus you have at the Kick Off would probably not go
to waste. It is cheap insurance....

While you are down there ave a beer or three in one of the plazas. What you
see in TJ is NOT Mexico: it is more of a theme park modeled on what the
Mexicans think Gringos expect to see, but it can still be fun. Don't get
drunk, and bring friends (for fun, you don't need them for safety, at least
during the day.)

Make sure you bargain hard for any curios you buy. Because of Mexican
liqueur taxes, the good tequila is cheaper here than there (the Mexicans
buy it in the USA and smuggle it south) so don't bother with that.

I bring a passport to get back across, and if you go on a weekend or during
morning commute, you may stand in line 2 hours. I haven't been down there
since Christmas, so things may have gotten easier.

I am posting my reply to PCT-L for other's reference.

Kim Owen, Senior Applications Engineer
Mentor Graphics Corp.
(503) 685-1553        kim_owen@mentor.com