[pct-l] Maps

> > Pardon my inexperience, but what exactly are the Trail Guides (Schaffer,
> > etc.) good for? The maps seem useless and, for re-supply at least, the
PCT
> > Town Guide strikes me as more useful.

I would suggest that if you don't know how to read a topo map and visualize
it as a 3D picture of the terrain that you do so. I met a thru hiker a
couple years ago just two days out at Mt. Laguna. He was looking for the
campground which was just a 100 yards away. The map clearly showed that the
junction is at a sharp bend in the trail a short distance after climbing the
sidewall of a canyon, but he apparently couldn't figure this out.

These maps are the most accurate for the trail. Just remember they don't
cover much of the side trails. The Town Guide and Data Book are both useful,
but the maps and trail description in the Trail Guide is what will be you
there.

AsABat