[pct-l] Maps

In a message dated 3/13/2002 12:34:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
edmond@meinfelder.com writes:

> Pardon my inexperience, but what exactly are the Trail Guides (Schaffer,
> etc.) good for? The maps seem useless and, for re-supply at least, the PCT
> Town Guide strikes me as more useful.

Although the Data Book and Town Guide are good for planning, what works best
is Craig's PCT Planner.  The Guidebooks with maps may seem useless at home,
but once on the trail, they are indispensable. That is, unless you like
getting lost!  They're also easily split up and send ahead or mailed with
your food drops.

Consider the $50 for both a bargin.  I'll be hiking the CDT this year and a
complete set of maps and guidebooks are approaching $500.  Ouch!

> Related question: Are the trail signs/blazes good enough to make it without
> maps?

Not hardly.  Axe cut blazing is used on the PCT along with nearly every other
trail.  PCT markers are few and far in between.  Many junction signs have
been obliterated and not replaced.  The trail isn't visable under the snow.
I lost my maps approaching Muir Pass and nearly walked off into never never
land, and if the Hut wasn't visible as a speck on the horizon, I would have.
Once reaching it, I had not idea where the trail was and stayed put until
another hiker came around.

YMMV

Sly

multipart/alternative