[pct-l] Ankle rash after hiking

>From: SleekHiker@aol.com
>
>Hey, can any of you help?  My girlfriend gets a rash around her ankles after
>hiking for more than two hours.  Wool socks and well as non-wool socks both
>irritate.  When hiking longer distances, the blotchy red areas are also
>displayed on the back of her calves as well as on her quads.  Is this heat
>related?  Any other ideas?

On a 15 mile day carrying ~55 pounds on the PCT/JMT from Garnet Lake to
Red's Meadow I acquired a fiercely itchy rash that started on my feet and
spread upwards over a day or two. I'd never had something like that before.
While that August day was warm, I felt the cause was probably trail dust
and dehydration stress, as I was rotating between wearing boots and
running shoes. Fortunately a friend lent me some Benedryl-type of salve
which helped, and after a few days the rash disappeared.

I would look into allergies as well, and also try a different kind of boot.

     erik
     http://www.virtualparks.org/