[pct-l] Re: border crossing ID

At 06:15 PM 3/11/02, Bumblefist@aol.com wrote:
>The official rules now are that you need TWO pieces of id that state where
>you are from and one of them has to state where you were born.  This means a
>passport or birth certificate.

According to the INS website, a passport alone should be enough.

I think the problems may come if you don't have a passport because the "any
proof of U.S. citizenship that clearly establishes identity and
nationality" section has a lot of room for interpretation.

The page says:
"A U.S. citizen must present a passport if traveling from outside of the
western hemisphere (The western hemisphere is North, Central, and South
America). If traveling from inside the Western Hemisphere, any proof of
U.S. citizenship that clearly establishes identity and nationality is
permitted such as a birth record or baptismal record."

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/legadmit.htm

FWIW, my passport has worked fine going back and forth to Mexico since
9/11. Just the lines have much longer.

YMMV.

--
Brick Robbins

"I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain."
-----Robert Heinlein - Glory Road