[pct-l] Help with a Tent/Tarp Design (suggestions)

Roy,

There's only a few places where mosquitoes will be a problem on the AT,
namely New Jersey, CT and Massachusetts.  For the most part in other areas,
they won't be a problem.  The other insects, such as black flies, aren't
nocturnal (that I know of) and aren't much of a problem except for Maine for
early season southbounders during the day.  On the other hand, rain can be a
problem any time, any where.

When do you plan on leaving, in which direction?  As I offered Brian, if
you're anywhere from Franklin, NC to Erwin, TN before the end of April and
you need any help or assistance of any kind, just let me know.

Have a great hike,

Sly

> On the PCT, a shelter is probably used more often for bug protection than
> for
> bad weather.  I've heard that black flies and mosquitoes have been spotted
> from time to time on the AT as well.  Have you considered adding mosquito
> netting to your design?  I'll be hiking the AT this year and am going to
> try
> an improved "bug cage" addition to my poncho/tarp design.  (See:
> http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html)   If this proves out
> after, I hope, 2,168 miles of field testing this summer on the AT, plans
> for
> the BugCage will be made available on my site.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---