[pct-l] Canada-US Border Crossing

As an American, currently living in Canada on a 6-month visitor permit, I
may be able to shed some light on border crossing.

9/11 changed EVERYTHING and this includes border crossing.  Whereas a
driver's license used to be all that was needed, it is no longer.  What
customs (both American and Canadian) require: proof of citizenship (and a
driver's license is not that).  I use a passport, but I believe that a birth
certificate and picture ID works too (if you don't have a passport).

I do not expect any customs officials at the PCT crossing into Canada.  This
is a 'low risk' crossing (because of the relative remoteness ... and, while
backpackers may stink (the real reason Customs officers leaves the PCT
crossing alone), we're no bunch of terrorists!)  I believe that the
paperwork is used to provide Canadian Customs with documentation: entry
date, length of stay, amount of funds (and -important to Canada- ... no
contraband or firearms) and is given only a cursory examination.  I'm
assuming that they'll send something back (I haven't received anything yet)
and it can be used to explain presence in Canada, if needed.

Have proof of citizenship and carry it across the border, both ways, just to
be safe.  You'll need it to return to the U.S. (for sure).

-Scott Kimler
http://www.geocities.com/pct_hike   <-- more shameless promotion of our
really COOL PCT website!