[pct-l] Poison Oak

brick@fastpack.com writes:

> Another plant that looks very similar I think is called "deer brush," but
> the center leaf on that plant does not have a distinct stem: i.e. the leaf
> body goes all the way down to the junction of the other two leaves.

Brick,

What you are describing is Rhus trilobata (Skunk/Basket Bush).

I still stand by my general advice ... if it even looks like Poison Oak,
AVOID contact. There is no medical treatment required for having
unnecessarily avoided Skunk/Basket Bush.

To add more confusion to this botany lesson, Poison Oak is NOT an oak (genus
for oaks is Quercus). Poison Oak, however, is often found 'near oak trees.'

Charlie

PS Still confused? Come to the California Nativescapes Garden in San Diego's
Wild Animal Park this Saturday (March 9) at 10:00 for a walking tour of the
Native Plant Garden. Talk with the Supervisor of the Montane (plants from the
mountains) Area Plant Community. Ask for him by name ... he's Charlie Jones.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---