[pct-l] San Felipe Hills

Ben,

I did that section of the trail early last May.  A few comments:

> I need to know about three things in the area from Scissors Crossing to
> Barrel Spring.
> 1) Is there any water near the trail?

There was a trail angle cache hidden in some bushes near the road before
you get to the river.  But i don't know how reliable it is, especially early
in the year.  The river is very suspicous.  If there hadn't been a water
cache
i would have hitched to the nearest town. Bless those trail angels!!!!!!!!

> 2) Is there any good spots for striking a camp and spending the night?

I camped a few miles up the trail in the hills in a little sandy wash.
Others
camped right on the trail.  I hiked the last few miles to my sandy camp
in the last couple hours of the day.  It was very nice to camp
in the hills.

> 3) Is a permit required to camp in the San Felipe Hills?

Who knows, but who cares??

If your going light the hike to Barrel Springs is not hard.  Just camp a few
miles from the highway in the hills and get up early.  The hike is just long
and rambling.  Some CRAZY LONG switch-backs before the springs!
Barrel springs is real nice.

Watch out for the charging cows before Warner Springs!

Have fun,
Yukon Pete