[pct-l] San Felipe Hills

From: "Ben Holmes" :
> I need to know about three things in the area from Scissors Crossing to
> Barrel Spring.
> 1) Is there any water near the trail?

No, only at the two ends (and Scissors Crossing can be stagnant). There
could be water caches during thru-hiker season, but they don't get
established until April (and do NOT count on them even then).

> 2) Is there any good spots for striking a camp and spending the night?

Yes. The most obvious is the sandy flat 8.5 miles up from Scissors Crossing.
This is large and flat.
The gate at (3600-1.6) 10.7 miles up there's exposed room for maybe 3 tents.
You might be able to do something near the gate at (3550-0.8) 13.6 miles in,
but it might not be too level.
After the third gate (4155-2.7) I would say you'll find little to no decent
camping room, other than on the trail tread itself.

> 3) Is a permit required to camp in the San Felipe Hills?

I believe this is mostly BLM land (except Barrel Springs itself which is
owned by Vista Irrigation District), so I _think_ the only thing you would
need is a Southern California campfire permit if you bring a stove.

AsABat