[pct-l] shorts vs pants

> My conclusion: only tourists and ladies with purty legs should
> ever wear shorts

My conclusion: use lightweight running shorts for underwear, then you can
hike, run, swim, or sleep in them as well, as conditions permit.
I'm pretty slow, so anybody appalled by the sight will soon be past me.

I don't see the point of heavy-duty hiking shorts.   If the sun/bugs/brush/
snow/rocks might abrade your running shorts, they will abrade your skin even
worse.

There is a good argument to be made, aside from extreme hypthermic conditions,
for hiking in shorts in the rain and
keeping the long pants dry (you aren't taking any cotton clothing with you
to the mountains, I hope).    Put the dry long pants on as soon as you stop.