[pct-l] RE: GPS and Guidebooks

ID - A GPS is useless using only the guidebooks.  You need maps with real
world coordinates (and knowledge about the coordinate system & spheroid the
maps use).  I'm planning on using RWC maps over the JMT (Tom Harrison JMT
maps - www.tomharrisonmaps.com ), which have both lat/lon and UTM
coordinates (NAD27) - these cover the High Sierra.  There are also a set of
NFS maps that cover the PCT for all of  Oregon and Washington
(http://www.naturenw.org/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?page=store-maps.htm ).  These
maps have lat/lon coordinates, were done in the mid-80's and are likely
NAD27 - they may be WGS84 or NAD83 - they don't say.
TOM - I'm still interested in obtaining your Calif TOPO! trace coordinates.
I'll chat with you off-post about the details, but I could make a text file
available from our PCT page for others (like ID) to download at their
leisure.
-Scott
www.geocities.com/pct_hike
id  - "If I bring along a gps, how will it help me if I'm lost?  Without a
map that has coordinates on it, it seems like a gps would be pretty
seless.  -dmosborne@hotmail.com

tom - "most people don't think a GPS is necessary on a thruhike. However, if
you decide to use one I would download my topo! trace of the PCT and create
waypoints for each section. Since most GPS won't store more than 500
waypoints you will need to discard and upload waypoints every so often. An
alternative is printing out the waypoints on a piece of paper and
referencing them if you need them. Somehow this seems too much work to me
but if you want to do it......"