[pct-l] Re: Whippet is a 80's Devo Song

Monte wrote:

>You may have soft snow and no trouble, BUT in may freeze all day.

In which case I will wait until the sun comes out. There's enough
flexibility in my schedule that I could walk down to the Kern River and sit
in the hot spring for a couple of days. I will agree, however, that for
those intent on going over the pass regardless of the conditions, an ice axe
and crampons would be a better choice. And boots are better than trail shoes
- but let's not start that debate :-).

>Don use to play backup for the Grateful Dead and will do fine no matter if
he takes an ice axe
>or Whippet or pitch fork.

I may have to reconsider - a pitch fork may work very well, indeed.

Eckert added:

>I start smirking everytime I read the word "whippet".  I'll I can picture
is a
>small, pointy-nose, greyhound type dog, being employed in a
self-arrest.....too
>much Charles Addams and Gary Larson I guess.

Actually my first choice was a greyhound but switched to a whippet because
of the lighter weight. I understand that Helvetica has also had great
success with Lhasa Apsos.

Don Davidson