[pct-l] Re: Ice Axe self-arrest training?

Thanks to all for the very informative review of ice axes and their sometime
necessity.
All good information that is certain to help many and in time, save some
lives.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is anyone using the Black Diamond "Whippet" self-arrest pick conversion
for their poles? No blade for step chopping of course, but otherwise seems
like it may be a great idea since I use poles anyway. Just a 4 oz net gain,
and the thing is constantly gripped in your hand ready to go should you fall.
Just keep polin' along if you don't. Opinions?

2. Where can I get the kind of self-arrest instruction recommended? I live in
a Los Angeles suburb. Any specific class recommendations would be highly
appreciated.

Best, Todd in Tarzana.