[pct-l] Re: PCT Risks

Strider wrote:
> However, recognize that the greatest exposure to ill, in my opinion,
> comes from fate.  You can control many aspects of the exposure to
risk > on a thru-hike and yet fail due to just one mis-step out of the
> millions that you will take.

This thread brings to mind one of my all time favorite John Muir
quotes.  It makes sense to me, although unfortunately it does not
reassure my mother when I tell her I'm going backpacking alone again.
She was okay with me taking the New York City subway alone late at
night at the age of fourteen, but thinks that "anything" could happen
"out there by yourself". Which is, of course true, but not the point.

"True, there are innumerable places where the careless step will be the
last step; and a rock falling from the cliffs may crush without warning
like lightning from the sky, but what then? These mountain mansions are
decent, delightful, even divine places to die in, compared to the
doleful chambers of civilization. Few places in the world are more
dangerous than home. Fear not, therefor, to try the mountain passes.
They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and
call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action. Even the
sick should try these so-called dangerous passes, because for every
unfortunate they kill, they cure a thousand." John Muir

-payslee
still planning to live forever...