From: CMountainDave@aol.com [mailto:CMountainDave@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 7:17 AM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] risk

I  say those who constanly seek to minimize risk will be quite reluctant to
taking risk when the need arises to reach a goal. Once, while climbing Sloan

Peak in the Casades, we met a party that turned back because of intermittent

fog, (which later cleared). Then we met a party of Mountaineers who were
leaving - they didn't want to go up a moderately steep snow slope because it

descended to a cliff. We were all equally prepared with all the necessary
gear, but here the willingness to take risks inherent in the sport of
mountaineering made  all the difference as our party made the summit. The
others presumably went on in search of more excuses to not reach a summit