[pct-l] Did Lowder have an ice axe?

This whole discussion reminds me of the coverage of the Mount Everest
disaster a few years back.  I remember listening to other climbers
analyzing what went wrong.  Certainly, part of what they were doing was
trying to understand what happened... but I also came away convinced
that the climbers were desperately looking for mistakes so they could
say "ah, he made a mistake... I won't do that, so this can't happen to
me."

I have never climbed through the Sierra Nevada, and if I am ever blessed
with the opportunity I will carry an ice axe.  I have climbed mountains
in the Adirondacks in February (with snowshoes, 12 point crampons AND an
ice axe), and I know for a certainty that there are lots of ways to fall
and that an ice axe will only help for some of them.

Hiking is beautiful, and pretty darn safe.  There are risks, just like
there are when we drive to work or ride a bicycle on the road.  We all
end up deciding what our own level of comfort and risk is.  For me, I'll
hike solo in the summer but not in the winter... that's where my choice
is.  Maybe if I didn't have children I'd hike solo in the winter too...
I don't know.

Anyway, I just wonder how much of the fascination with John Lowder's
death has to do with preventing future tragedies, and how much has to do
with assuaging that nibbling dark fear in all of us that says "this
could have happened to me."

-- Jim