Dr John Lowder, Was [pct-l] Re: ice axe

I remember reading about John's misfortune on this list a few years
ago.  If I remember correctly, that year was an exceptionally light
snow year, which would have made it completely possible to cross the
Sierras in Mid-June with no axe.

I also remember someone posting a newspaper article about his
accident which mentioned all of his injuries.  The only injuries I
remember reading about were broken bones and usual falling-type
injuries.  There was no mention of his hands being shredded (which is
typical of one slipping on snow/ice with no axe).  The article also
mentioned nothing about poor judgement or ice axes.

In fact, the article indicated that John was quite the outdoors bad-
ass and must have been tough as hell to have fallen as far as he did,
sustain broken bones (an arm, a leg, and ribs, i think) and still
have the sense of presence and determination to locate and unpack his
sleeping bag and get inside of it before nightfall.

It is my opinion that John probably fell just because he took a
misstep and that it had nothing to do with snow or ice axes.  I
actually remember the article talking of the possibility that he
tripped over a rock or root.

I have been in the sierras in late august and needed an ice axe.  I
was unable to cross Dick's Pass near Tahoe in 1998.  Other who were
traveling in the opposite direction were able to make it over without
an axe, but I was not.  I tried to walk on the steep snow and use
make-shift tools, but I felt exposed and unsafe so I turned back
countless times.  This just goes to show that those who have posted
about the ice axe being an individual choice are correct.  It all
depends on a lot of different factors, including:
- amount of snowfall during the winter
- personal experience with:
   a. traveling in snow
   b. orienteering and trail-finding
   c. traveling on the PCT
- other equipment (ie: boots vs shoes, hiking poles, etc)
- time of year/pace/schedule (ie: fast hikers will arrive b4 snowmelt)
- traveling alone or with others
- etc
- etc

bottom line for me: if you don't know what you are getting into(ie:
never hiked in the sierras), then be on the safe side.

peace,
dude

> At 11:22 PM 2/22/02, Reynolds, WT wrote:
> >I find it incredible that an experienced backpacker like John
Lowder didn't