Dr John Lowder, Was [pct-l] Re: ice axe

In a message dated 2/22/02 11:25:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

> I would be
> suprised that his companions allowed him to try New Army Pass in storm
> conditions without an axe. No storm or whiteout condition was mentioned in
> the accounts that I read.

I'm not so sure that his plan was to head to New Army Pass. I think his plan
was to return to Cottonwood Pass and leave the trail. He may have followed
the trail to New Army Pass by mistake.

After John turned back, another hiker decided to follow him, but never caught
up and somehow made it to Cottonwood Pass. I met her as I was at Cottonwood
waiting for 2 hikers from Germany (heading north, but getting off at
Cottonwood Pass).

By the time I picked up the hikers and made it down to Lone Pine the Search
and Rescue was already under way. Charlotte had reported John's turning back
and was concerned. She was part of the group that continued across Forester
and left the trail at Independence. There was also a helicopter rescue that
day of one of the group from Forester.

Charlie

multipart/alternative
  text/html