[pct-l] Dry Conditions in So Cal

Greetings,

If you saw the fires on TV north of San Diego last week you know it is dry
for the rainy season.  Charlie Jones (San Diego) tells me that they have had
less than two inches of rain all winter.  When you read those guide books and
it talks about dry years, this is probably one, unless El Nino kicks in this
spring.  And when the guidebook talks about late season (April and May) snows
at higher elevations, be aware! If El Nino kicks in this spring, that is what
we will see.

But hey,  enjoy your hike, it will all work out.  There is always water
somewhere reasonably close by and if the snows hit, you can always bomb out
to a road without too much difficulty.

I began my section hike in 98, an El Nino year.  Three feet of snow on Mt
Laguna in early April!  Ever since then it has been dryer every year I have
come out. Sounds like So Cal is due for some wet weather..........

David B. Craft
Cheesy
Greensboro, NC