[pct-l] Cannisters & bugs

When it comes to bear canisters there is the "thruhiker season" and the
"normal season". The risks and the regulations are different.

The great bulk of Sierra hikers don't get started until July. By then the
bears are hunting "camper" food with great efficiency. There have been
several incidents of people getting hurt due to keeping food in the tent or
using it as a pillow. Additionally, the Rangers are out in force and handing
out tickets if you don't have your trusty canister. They are required in
Yosemite and in large parts of INYO National Forest and King Canyon.

The "thruhiker" season is well before the "normal season". Neither the bears
nor the Rangers are as active.

The regulations are somewhat murkey. My understanding [not guaranteed,
subject to change] is:

1-Thruhikers must use bear boxs between Forrester Pass and Woods Creek in
Kings Canyon National Park. If a thruhiker tries to resupply over Kearsarge
Pass he better have a bear canister. They are "assholes" [self-proclaimed]
in this area because they have had lots of bear trouble. North of Woods
Creek there are pleanty of bears but if you stealth camp the risks are low.

2-As you approach Mammoth [Red's Meadow] you enter a "canister zone". IF/HOW
this affects "thruhikers" I have no clue. My guess is that because you did
not get your permit in their jurisdiction they MIGHT give you a break.
However, the regulations set June 1 as the start date. Be warned! This
"canister zone" extends to Yosemite NP. My ADVICE TO THRUHIKERS IS THAT THE
ZONE BETWEEN MAMMOTH AND DONAHUE PASS represents the GREATEST RISK from
bears and Rangers.

3-Yosemite NP also requires canisters. I have not heard of any exceptions
for thruhikers.

My View:
I only hike in "normal season". I DO NOT thruhike. In normal season I always
carry a canister because I think the extra 1#12oz worth it to avoid the
hassel of bears and rangers. Most thruhikers report that the have no trouble
with either bears or Rangers as long as they are not delayed and are north
of Tolumne by July 1.

Tom