[pct-l] Questions pretaining to my 2002 thru hike...

In a message dated 1/30/02 2:25:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
MArbogast@vailresorts.com writes:

<<  I'd like to know what the best way to store this [denatured alcohol]
 fuel. In Hawaii I put my fuel in a 20oz. Gatorade bottle, which seemed
 to work well, but I'm not entirely sure if this is safe or not. Should I
 purchase a fuel bottle for white gas? >>

A disposable plastic water bottle works well.  Get the kind with the screw-on
cap.  They don't leak.  Avoid the "new improved" bottles with the pull-valve
tops.  If you cook the way I do*, a one pint or 500 ml bottle should last a
week.

Just as a safety measure, I wouldn't recommend storing alcohol fuel in a
white gas bottle.  Sooner or later, you're going to get the wrong stuff in
the wrong stove, with disasterous results.  Also, for safety, put some red
tape around the water bottle or otherwise mark it so somebody doesn't
accidently take a swig of denatured alcohol.  Enjoy your hike!

* - Boiling two pints of water per day takes four tbsp of fuel.  That's 28
tbsp, or a bit less than a pint per week.  If you cook more, adjust your fuel
load accordingly.