[pct-l] Trail logging

Maybe this is old news to everyone but me...

We had low-elevation snow storms here on the Oregon/Washington border
last weekend, so instead of making a drive up to the mountains where
the road conditions were nasty, I hiked along the first few miles of
the PCT in Washington, which has always been a nice, sheltered low
elevation hike for winter. It's also a section of trail I bring lots of
beginning hikers to, because it's pretty, easy to get to, has lakes and
overlooks along the way, and is not steep.

Since the last time I was there, there's been logging right across the
trail, for maybe as much as a mile? What had been a sheltered
second-growth forest is now open, with lots of mud and slash.

I thought logging was prohibited on the PCT since it's a "national
scenic corridor". Or at least, logging right across the trail. The cut
followed the trail, didn't just happen to go across it at one point. Am
I wrong that such a regulation exists? Does that only count for
federally managed lands (which this section is not)?

Lastly, does anyone know how to track these things? I do belong to a
group that tracks proposed timber sales in the Mt. Hood Nat'l forest,
but there are *so many* different management agencies that the trail
goes through: wondering if anyone out there tries to keep track of them
for the PCT overall. I'd have protested this timber harvest, if I'd
known about it.

-payslee