[pct-l] Giardia

I'm in my once a year coming out of the lurk mode.

Here is a FDA site about  Giardia lamblia

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap22.html

In summary:

   Many adult individuals seem to have lasting immunity
   Giardiasis is most frequently associated with contaminated water.

from the article:

Giardiasis is most frequently associated with the consumption of
contaminated water. Five outbreaks have been traced to food
contamination by infected or infested food handlers, and the
possibility of infections from contaminated vegetables that are eaten
raw cannot be excluded. Cool moist conditions favor the survival of
the organism.

 6. Relative Frequency of Disease:

Giardiasis is more prevalent in children than in adults, possibly because
many individuals seem to have a lasting immunity after
infection. This organism is implicated in 25% of the cases of
gastrointestinal disease and may be present asymptomatically.
The overall incidence of infection in the United States is estimated
at 2% of the population. This disease afflicts many homosexual men,
both HIV-positive and HIV-negative individuals. This is presumed to
be due to sexual transmission. The disease is also common in child
day care centers, especially those in which diapering is done.

Mike

http://www.engel.org/ihwm  (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

email  --- mike_aken@hotmail.com

I hike alone sometimes.Its during these            Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of  arrogant             N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have  to deal
with is reduced to one.
                         Jack Hampson

text/html (html body -- converted)