[pct-l] long winter type thoughts

    I've hiked over a 1000 miles in the Sierra over the past 30+ years. I've
never used or even carried a water filter of any type. Never got G. or anything
else from what I consumed on the trips either. Have used iodine solution (bottle
with iodine crystals) or boiling to treat suspect water though. Drank lots of
water straight from the stream or lake. Used water caches once. Maybe I've been
lucky.
    OTOH, about 10 years ago I came down with bad GI upset from something I
consumer, probably at a fast food place in the Central Valley.

    For myself, I'll stick with the iodine solution, at least in the mountains.
and avoid fast food places <g>.