[pct-l] Sierra Designs Light Year

Hey JoAnn,

I've used a Light Year for the past two seasons on the PCT and found it to
be an excellent shelter.  I didn't carry the ULTRA, however my understanding
is the only difference is lighter weight poles in the ULTRA and a different
color.  Just checked some web sites and it looks like the Light Year is no
longer available.  As I recall it was about $150, which is why I opted for
it over the ULTRA.

It's cozy.  I found I had to keep my stuff pretty well organized or I
couldn't find anything.  There's very little room to spread out.  The plus
is a high enough peak to sit up in a thermarest chair inside the tent, very
good for a late meal or journaling.  There isn't enough room to bring a pack
inside, but there is room to put an unloaded pack in the vestibule between
the leading edge of the tent and the fly.  The vestibule is functional, big
enough for wet shoes or to cook in while sitting inside the tent.
Ventilation is excellent without the fly and pretty good with.  I never got
any condensation inside the tent with the fly installed.  There are lots of
points for guys so you can stake it down securely in the wind - its really
bombproof there.

It's not freestanding, but only requires 3 stakes (2 without the fly), and
sets up tight.  I like to use 2 more stakes to guy out the bottom edges of
the fly, improving ventilation.

I think it's one of the best designed double wall lightweights on the
market, but be prepared for a cozy little hobbit hole.

happy trails, Tom

Hobbit's Hiking Pages ( http://friends.backcountry.net/rogers/ )