[pct-l] I would like to introduce myself....

Hi Matti,

Good to see you posting on the list!
Have you hiked before in the US? There are a few things that were
really different there, in comparison with hiking in Europe.

If you are hiking from Canada, consider buying things that you still
need to buy over there. The dollar is still very strong in comparison
with the euro, but the Canadian dollar a little less. For example: a
tent might cost 200 dollars both in the US and Canada, but in Euros
this would be about 250 in the US and 175 in Canada. In Vancouver you
will find a whole street full of outdoor shops, the biggest one is
MEC: Mountain Equipment Coop. From Vancouver you can take a greyhound
to Manning Park.

The most important is the idea of shipping yourself food to post
offices along the way. We did without part of the way and sent
ourselves packages for part of the way too. It is difficult to figure
out what you will need... The best way to do this without a US home
base is to plan your food for about three weeks or so and send
packages. Then after the last package has run out, you go off the
trail to visit a moderately or well stocked town and do the same all
over. A drift box with tape, pen, plastic bags, etc. is worth sending
out, maybe. As you will always have to buy too much and dump it. You
can find all the addresses on the PCTA pages (trip planner). Still, I
had a lot of fun preparing with actual guide books, so if you have
any chance: get them.

Permits were another thing, that was not really difficult to figure
out, but different.

What we learned from our American fellow hikers is that we should
really try the light-weight methods. The PCT is not a bad place to
try them out. I mean: not a bomb proof four season tent, but a
light-weight tent or even tarp. And light backpacks and light shoes...

Saskia