[pct-l] Re: Mt. Jefferson

I've camped at Pamelia Lake (3800 ft) in the Mt. Jeff wilderness in
mid-June, and we got snow the second night. And rain all weekend. For
about 15 minutes, we even got hail.

It was still an amazingly  beautiful trip, and the weather meant that
we were alone most of the time, even in this very heavily used area.

Bugs were not a problem, because it was just barely spring up there.
But unless you have some very sturdy boy scouts, a tent with a rain fly
will probably be worth the extra two-pounds per scout, or whatever it
is.

The weather that time of year is a toss of the dice, but most of the
trails leading up from Pamelia were still under snow, creeks were all
very high and difficult to ford, and finding dry enough wood the first
night for a fire to warm up our cold-wet selves was hard. Granted, this
was two years ago, a heavy snow year. Hard to know how this season will
turn out yet.

But it was worth it, although I wished we could have taken some of the
higher trails... It was so cold I was wearing all my clothes and was
afraid to ford some of the creeks in case I slipped in... I would never
have been able to dry out and would have had to hike out.

-payslee