[pct-l] Fire and Ice

Lezlie - please include the following items in February's Penwicle. If it is
too late for that issue, please put it in March and Aprils Penwicle

   PCT list - members are welcome to join me on both trips. I will be giving
preference to those I personally know. However, I expect few takers for the
Grand Canyon trip from us mole -skinned people of the great N. W. where the
U.V. index rarely exceeds .001. We weep when the sun comes out - not just for
joy but from under-dilated, squinting eyes.

David Cossa is planning another Grand Adventure in the Grand Canyon. I have
obtained a permit that is good for 6 people from April 25 to May 7.  ( The
comment from the ranger who issued the permit--Great! Great! Great!) The plan
is to hike 90 miles in 9 days from Hermits Rest on the South Rim to Supai in
Havasu Canyon + one day out from Supai. The journey will connect the Boucher,
Tonto, and Apache trails to Apache Point. From there it travels cross country
to Topocoba Hilltop and down the Topocoba Trail to Supai. Dates counting
travel time: Leave Seattle April 23. Arrive back in Seattle May 10
     This trip will be through wild, isolated areas of the G. C.  that are
seldom visited. Hopefully, seasonal water will be "plentiful." The pace will
be approximately 10 miles a day and will avoid hiking between 10 a.m. and 3
p.m. Ultralites take note: there ain't going to be any 20 mile days - not
even close! The trip includes long traverses on the Supai Esplanade and Tonto
Platforms - each a different life zone -- as well as the riparian/ true
desert zone of the Colorado River. A 7 mile trail-less traverse via compass
on the 7000 foot Colorado Plateau through Ponderosa pine forest tops it off
   I am planning getting to and from the Grand Canyon entirely by rail (coach
class) to avoid hassles with dropping off and picking up vehicles. I estimate
the  cost of the trip to be $500 for food, lodging, transportation (from
Seattle), and permit fees
  Because of the remote,  extremely isolated nature of this trip, and the
very real possibility of unexpected trouble for those not versed in desert
hiking - severe blisters that can lift off toenails, dehydration, getting
lost, sprains, etc. - I am going to limit this trip to those experienced
desert hikers who really, really like to backpack. Familiarity with the many
different layers of the G. C.  (Kaibab, Toroweap, Coconino, Hermit shale,
Supai, etc.) desirable as well as compass know how and route finding
abilities. It will be much more difficult than hiking in Havasu Canyon or the
maintained Bright Angel/Kaibab trails. Expect temperatures ranging from 20*
to 105*. The G. C.  ranger says they have had cases of heat stroke and
hypothermia on the SAME day!  If I haven't scared off you desert rats and
this trip sounds intriguing,( it will be one hell of a purty trip) give me a
call or e-mail me. 360-871-5577. Cmountaindave@aol.com

 Mt Rainier Climb. Tentatively scheduled for June 14 - 15 - 16, 2002 via
Inter and Emmons Glacier. Group limit - 12. Glacier experience desirable, but
not necessary. Ice ax, crampons and harnesses required. Ropes provided.