[pct-l] RE: Safewater Anywhere, In-Line Filters

I have used the same system as you have described, but with the addition of a First Need Prefilter ahead of the Safewater Anywhere Filter. I have been using mine for the past two years and have in excess of 150 gallons run through it. I did have trouble with this system when I first started using it, but after a few days I finally figured out that if I held the unit upside down (the Platypus Big Zip full of unfilterd water lying on the ground) and gently stepping on the Big Zip while holding the outlet high in the air, that expelling ALL of the air in both the prefilter & filter did the trick. As soon as I turned the the unit right-side up & hung it from a branch, I could filter 2 liters in just a few minutes.

I like this setup much better than a hand-pump filter, and I personally dislike the flavors of chemical water treatments so those are not used. The system as described above allows my Lady & I the freedom to relax during water breaks rather than pumping the entire time. Our feet rejoice!

My brother witnessed our use of the setup during several hikes together and liked it so much that we bought one for him for his B-day. He uses it now and his PUR Hiker went the same way as ours - auctioned off on E-Bay!

Hike On!

singingotter

Sign-UP for your FREE Backpacker Email at http://www.backpacker.com/email
P.S. Click here to get a FREE trial issue of BACKPACKER:  http://www.backpacker.com/subs/home.rhtml/I9KF001