[pct-l] Re: Speaking of map and compass skills...

> Hello, my name is Bryan Jacobson and i've started
> hiking about a year ago. I am
> planning on doing a week trip on the PCT this year,
> and a thru-hike the next. I
> live in Minnesota and while i've been to a few
> places I have yet to use a
> compass, just Topo maps and signs when available.
>
> My quesion is, how 'nice' of compass do I need,
> meaning are those little tiny
> ones reliable? and what would be some recommended
> resources for learning how to
> use the compass well.
>
> Good advice appreciated,
>
> Bryan Jacobson

(I tried to send a reply to this message once before,
when suddenly my mail server went down.  Apologies if
my reply appears twice.)

Really, any compass you find at a sporting goods store
or wilderness outfitters should be fine.  You don't
need anything fancier than the typical "Boy Scout"
kind, with the (approx.) 2" liquid-filled dial mounted
on a stubby plastic card.  A built-in magnifying glass
and longer card with ruler and map scales are nice but
not essential.  Mirror sights are nice too, and supply
you with a signalling mirror for emergencies to boot,
but the slight gain in accuracy won't make much
difference in how well you find your way.

The only feature I would insist on is a
"set-and-forget" adjustment for declination.  This
just means the outer ring with the degree markings can
be rotated to account for the difference between true
north and magnetic north.  It's standard on all but
the cheapest models.  "Button" or "survival" compasses
typically don't have it, which is one reason I would
discourage you from relying on one for your primary
compass.  Declination here on the west coast is about
15 deg., give or take, so an error in compensation
could put you off course by as much as double that.
The times when using a compass becomes a matter of
life and death are also the times when you're most
likely to make a mistake--when you're lost, tired,
panicky, and confused.

As for learning to use a compass, the basic skills
aren't a matter of debate, so any guidebook you find
on the topic should suffice.  When you buy your
compass, it may come with a manual that explains
everything you need to know.  If not (or if you want
to know more), check your library.  Look for books on
orienteering or check through the general hiking and
backpacking guides--these usually include a chapter on
map and compass skills.

Most important, though, is to get lots of practice.
Find a park near you (close enough to make dayhikes)
with varied terrain, and take along a topo map of the
area.  Practice taking readings and finding your
location on the map.  Practice finding landmarks by
taking their bearings from the map.  Get used to
matching terrain features with their representations
on the map.  It's not hard to learn and can be fun.