[pct-l] (Guest Post) when to start?

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest chris zinszer <chefitup1@aol.com>.
* Please use <mailto:chefitup1@aol.com> to reply to the sender.

Hi my name is crispy, I have hiked most of the AT in the summer of 2000. I am no stranger to these hills. I have not however hiked in the west. I am planning a thru hike of the Pct and need advice on when to start in campo. also what about special gear? Crampons, ice ax etc...
     My current start date is on the first of may. Is this wise and are there any precausions I should take?  thank you