[pct-l] Re: looking bad, smelling worse

What amazed me about ALL the through-hikers I met

http://pcnst.oakapple.net/2001/

was how clean they seemed, in body, clothing, and equipment -
much more so than the wasted weekend backpackers
like me.    I guess over a couple thousand miles one gets one's personal
hygiene together, more or less.    One through hiker
did mention that he found that
showers no longer worked, and occasional tub baths in trail towns were
essential for any serious defoliation.

Of course, in the good old days there weren't any trail towns, no trails,
no towns, no GPS, just rugged cross country routes with
wild animals that had to be subdued with very heavy equipment, e.g.

http://pcnst.oakapple.net/photo/other-pct/through/monte/

In the spirit of Preserving History and Examples to Youth
I'll offer the same deal to anybody else that finished a PCT through
hike before 1983, but hasn't put their photos on a web site: you get up
to 24 of your best shots scanned and send them to me and I'll put them up next
to Monte's.    Or if you've already got a web site set up for your youthful
through-follies, send me the URL and I'll compile a list.