[pct-l] GPS

Sounds like I may be in the minority, but I love my GPS.  Granted I am not a
thruhiker either.  When the GPS is combined with TOPO software the combo of
the two is an incredable resource.  It lets me know when I am approaching
something I have marked of interest - LIKE WATER!  I also find it useful for
recording where I have been.  I have started to post the GPS info on my web
page, so people can see exactly where i have been.  In addition, I find a
GPS very useful when combined with a map that has UTM markings on it.  It
can be very helpful when hiking in terrain, like the dessert, where the
usual markers are just not around.  My Wife found my GPS (Garmin 12) for me.
She got it on sale for $50.00, normally $200.  I've been using it now for
two years and don't go on any hikes or bikerides without it.  But I still
always carry my map and compass too.  It should be noted that I don't not
consider the GPS a replacement for a map and compass.

Ben
Crazy_old_scout
http://crazy_old_scout.tripod.com

______
How helpful is a GPS for the CDT?

What kind of features are necessary and what just make it too complex or
burdensome for a neophyte to operate?

What is the weight and expense of these puppies?