[pct-l] Maps, Guidebooks & Stuff

       We used the cut-up Wilderness Press guide books, cut-up data book, and
some larger folding maps for our 2001 thru-hike.
       We picked up new guide book pieces every 2-3 food drops and received
new data book sections and maps at other resupply points. If we didn't get
one of our resupply boxes then we still had something to navigate with. We
never had to utilize this backup capability, but twice we lent out our maps
to other thru-hikers who had a "missing" resupply box. Sometimes we elected
to mail home the folding maps without using them, but noticed we usually kept
them in the remoter sections...it gave us a choice.
       It's was also handy to have a list with us detailing what items, other
than food, that we had packed in each box....i.e., socks, guide book
piece/updates, film, repellent, etc....the information will probably come in
handy sooner or later.  We also carried the 1-800 numbers of all the
manufactures of the equipment we carried.  We called the PuR company several
times and they were helpful in getting us a new filter. More than once I gave
out phone numbers to other hikers.
       The larger maps gave us a wider view and would be useful if one had to
detour due to snow, weather, illness, equipment problems, etc. OR and WA are
covered by five PCT maps....$2 each from the USFS...twice as much out in
town. CA doesn't have an equivalent type map.
       We obtained guidebook update information from the Wilderness Press
website, but I just visited there and didn't see it. The 2000 update
information for the CA guide book (edition 5, 1995) probably comes with it if
you buy the latest copy. If someone needs it I can provide the 2000 update
list.
       A year ago I was busy with PCT preparations and eager to get going.
This year I'm on the sidelines and miss it all...even the planning part.
Enjoy it all Class of 2002.
Jerry
Sidenote: Only once on each thru-hike have I been asked for my permit. The
first day out in 1976 (Cameron RS), and almost the last day of the 2001 hike
(Rainy Pass). In the Tahoe area we heard a thru-hiker offer his permit to a
ranger...I guess he wanted some use out a little used item.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---