[pct-l] GPS, Walkie-talkie

Hi Joanne
The SAR unit has been playing with GPS this year.  I don't think they are
worth the money for someone who doesn't have a lot of time to practice.  I
find it fairly easy to get messed up and I am VERY good with maps.  Unless
you are constantly watching the GPS and the map also you can get totally
messed up in where you are.  The good old fashioned way of map and compass
is more reliable in my opinion.

As far as communication, the walkie-talkies are not worth the money for what
you want.  Range is only about 2 miles in flat terrain. They are really good
for traveling in groups, but not on the trail. HAM radio is better, but
requires both people to have a license which is pretty easy to get. Range on
Ham can be as much as 80 miles but depends on terrain.  Much greater if
there are repeaters available. Radios are about $350 each. or you can
sometimes pick them up used on the internet for under $100.  Good antennas
are a must and run about $50.The license is a multiple choice test which is
administered around the area.  Practice tests are available on line also.
Faye