From: Joanne Lennox [mailto:goforth@cio.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 9:24 AM
To: Don Erickson; CDT; pct-mailing list
Subject: [pct-l] GPS, Walkie-talkie

I do not consider a GPS necessary for the PCT.  I do not know about the
CDT.  the guides are written in tens of a mile and some waypoints are  very
easy to miss.  The talk on the list about GPS units has gone right by me
because I do not know a thing about them; I have never used one and there
is nobody around to teach me.  Nevertheless, I am thinking about launching
off into GPS space.  So...

How helpful is a GPS for the CDT?

What kind of features are necessary and what just make it too complex or
burdensome for a neophyte to operate?

What is the weight and expense of these puppies?

Can somebody recommend a specific brand and an inexpensive place to buy it?

I plan to have a friend shadow me with my horse trailer and truck part of
the time on the CDT.  I am less concerned with my navigational skills, than
I am with trying to coommunicate and find my driver, especially in a lot of
places that may not have cell phone use.

How much of New Mexico near the CDT has cell phone coverage (Verizon);

I am looking for a small walkie talkie that may be helpful.  I thought you
search and rescue types might have some experience with this.

Joanne