[pct-l] Bouncing Crampons

 The only way these will bounce off the ice is if you throw them at about 10
yards aways!! Joan is a very experienced Mt. Gal and I value her words. These
crampons though do a very good job on even hard ice. All crampons must be
sharp to work well on hard ice and these babies are twice the crampons I saw
others use on Adams this August. Morning snowfields were as black ice with
their constant freezing , thawing and refreezing. It would be tough to " Kick
steps" in this snow, yet these crampons strapped to a pair of 804's blew the
minds ( and smurks) off all the climbers in their plastic " Rental" boots
with lock  on crampons. Steel crampons may hold up better and out last the
alum. ones, but weigh twice as much and are over kill for a thru-hiker. These
ultralight crampons though weigh less the many instep jobbies and have twice
the traction. Frozen icy snow and running shoes spell a lot of wasted forward
energy. The whole crampon thing depends on there being snow to the sierras in
the first place.  If there's no snow, skip crampons, if there is or your
early, you want them!!!!!! Trust me on this one!