[pct-l] PCT snow question

In a message dated 1/9/2002 12:50:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
brian_a_robinson@hotmail.com writes:

> As Monte says, post-holing will tear up your shins, especially if you have
> bare legs.  The icy crust is quite sharp.

LOL... That reminds me of my hike through the Sierra.  I bailed out to
Independence via the highly recommended Kearsage Pass Trail to resupply and
did a gear go over.  I found my long pants split at the inner seam and sent
them back to the outfitter for a new pair up the trail and also sent what I
considered extraneous gear, including my long johns and gaiters ahead to
Toulemne.  Hiking in gorgeous weather, only with shorts and after several
posts holes, I noticed a thin, but very painful scab covering both calves and
was forced to endure the next 150 miles.

If that wasn't enough, later on my trip, I did a fun and frolicking, sitting
half mile glissade down a chute descending Mt Shasta with shorts on.
Ouch!!!...   I thought my ass had to be burnt or broken, rubbed raw and
bleeding!

Fortunately, I quickly recovered, laughing what was left of my ass off and
noticed a couple wearing all the gear, including 12 point crampons doing the
same sitting glissade and thought, "what are they stupid!"

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---