[pct-l] PCT snow question

>From: Slyatpct@aol.com
>I noticed in most of your photos you're using hiking poles.
>
>What adjustments did you make during steep traverses?  That is, did you
>forego the poles and only use an ice ax or use the ice ax on the uphill
>side
>with a single pole downhill?  Another way?  Have you ever had to self
>arrest?

There's no pix with the ice axe for the same reason there's few pix of rainy
and snowy days.  I was too preoccupied to get the camera out and take the
picture.

I use the ice axe only when a fall would be dangerous. I put the poles in my
pack as self-arrest requires two hands. I've never had to self arrest except
in practice, but it only takes one time....

As Monte says, post-holing will tear up your shins, especially if you have
bare legs.  The icy crust is quite sharp.

Flyin' Brian