[pct-l] PCT snow question

In a message dated 1/8/2002 11:28:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brian_a_robinson@hotmail.com writes:

> If you're not as comfortable with steep snow as I am, you might wish to have
> crampons (or instep crampons with boots) to increase your traction.  I find
> I can kick or cut steps even in fairly hard snow, and I know I can
> self-arrest with the ice axe if I fall.  You should definitely consider
> getting some ice axe training.  I did before my first PCT thruhike in '97.
> An ice axe doesn't do any good if you don't know how to use it.

Brian,

I noticed in most of your photos you're using hiking poles.

What adjustments did you make during steep traverses?  That is, did you
forego the poles and only use an ice ax or use the ice ax on the uphill side
with a single pole downhill?  Another way?  Have you ever had to self arrest?

Thanks, Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---