[pct-l] Re: PCT resupply

In a message dated 1/8/2002 8:52:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

> I am entering the PCT from Cottonwood Pass south of Lone Pione skipping Mt.
> Whitney. I am concerned about resupply at VVResort. According to my
> calculations, it would take nine days at 16 miles per day (using Craig's
> Planner formula of 2.5 miles per hour for eight hours walking per day) to
> reach VVR. Now my final destination in TM but I am wondering if it is
> practical for two people with one bear cannister to make it nine days to
> VVR without resupply at Muir Ranch. It's certainly worth skipping if it is
> not hiker friendly and VVR is only another 20 miles away. This is my first
> experience with resupply points and using a cannister for more than a
> weekend trip.

The best thing to do is put as much food as you can in your bear cannister
and use bear boxes where you can for your extra food.  If you can't find any
bear boxes for your left over food, counter balance two snickers bars and
keep the rest of your food with you in your tent.  This way, all your food
will be safe, you wont get a ticket for not having a bear cannister and you
can watch the bear do his thing trying to get your snicker bars!

Sly

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html