[pct-l] Bivy Sacked

In a message dated 1/7/02 11:40:32 AM, happyjoonthepct@yahoo.com writes:

<< I was toying
with the idea of carrying a 40° bag until Kennedy
Meadows, and then switching to a 20° bag.

True story; June 1st, 1999 one night out of Wrightwood. Several inches of
rain and then 4 inches of snow and temps in the low 20's. I had a 20* bag and
stayed comfy. 40* bag? Would definitely have survived but it would have been
a pretty miserable couple of nights. Actually, the second cold night I opted
to stay in a poorly secured Boy Scout cabin  with a rip roaring fire in the
wood stove instead of camping in the snow (hey, I left it as clean as I found
it and locked the unlocked window when I left). I believe a bivy adds about
10* to a sleeping bags temp rating, but without a wind break (such as a tent)
I believe the wind chill in a storm would negate the added warmth.
  On the other hand, the storm I experienced was considered freakish. A 40*
bag would have been fine in S. Cal otherwise