[pct-l] RE: Fuels and Stoves

Bill Murdoch on the BackpackingLight list has raised some interesting
questions about alcohol stoves, alternate fuels, etc., and has quoted some
useful information (not verified by me) about melting points, flash points,
boiling points and heat content.  (See his original message below.)

The bad news is that I've totalled one CatStove testing some of these ideas.
Here are the results:

Kerosene does not work in a CatStove.  Same for Lamp Fuel.  Same for Coleman
Fuel.  There seems to be very little difference between these fuels, as used
in an alcohol stove.  They all burn very hot, are oxygen starved and tend to
set the surrounding area on fire (probably in search of air.)  Because they
are oxygen-deprived, they create a lot of smoke and soot.  This reinforces my
suggestion that using gas fuels in an alcohol stove is dangerous.  It is also
dirty, messy, and almost impossible to clean up.

There is some very good news!  I've never thought much of using a simmer ring
on the CatStove to make it burn slower.  It works, but is a nuisance to fool
with.  Here is the BEST way to make a CatStove simmer, and you can leave the
simmer ring at home:

Bring your meal to a boil using two tablespoons of alcohol, as usual.  That's
enough fuel to bring a pint (500 ml) of water to a rolling boil.  Before the
alcohol burns out, drop some paraffin (about 1/2 the size of one Esbit
tablet) into the stove.  It will melt and be absorbed into the fiberglass
wicking, where it will burn long after the alcohol has all been used up.  A
bit of candle will do the job just as well.  (For those who speak English
instead of 'Merican, I'm talking paraffin WAX, not kerosene.)  A chunk of
paraffin about the size of a quarter should simmer your pot for 8-10 minutes
after the alcohol burns out.  It does create some smoke and soot, so
experiment to find the amount that suits your needs.  Use too little rather
than too much.

Roy Robinson