[pct-l] Mt. Wilson hike, Saturday Dec. 29th (Los Angeles area)

A couple of us are planing on hiking up Mt. Wilson this Saturday, Dec.
29th. Here are the details if you are interested. Old Mt. Wilson Trail,
15 miles RT, 4,500' elevation gain, nice sustained climb the whole way.
If going east on the Ventura (134) freeway to where it meets the 210,
continue east on the 210 to Baldwin Ave. exit (Santa Anita Park is just
south of there), go north on Baldwin to Mira Monte Ave. (2 blocks north
of Grand), go east on Mira Monte to Mt. Wilson Trail Drive. We will meet
there at 8:30 am. Please confirm if you are meeting us there so we know
to look for you. I think it took us 3 hours up and about 2 down the last
time we did it, moving at a fairly rapid pace. This is not a beginner
hike, it is an upper moderate level, a great workout!

This was the first trail made by white man in the San Gabriels (it
follows an old Indian trail), made in 1864 by Benjamin Wilson to bring
timber down from the mountains. It was used in 1889 to take the Harvard
University telescope up for the first observatory on Mt. Wilson. Its a
beautiful trail but few people know about it or use it now days. In the
early 1900's, there were hundreds of people who went up it on Saturdays
to go to the mountain top resorts and returned down on Sunday.

If you want to car pool from the South Bay, please contact me.

Vic Hanson
310-787-7245