[pct-l] Re: the Growth

First, thanks Strider!
Could there be any greater compliment among this
illustrious group?

The story of the Growth

All you thermarest junkies know how well one of these
pads are made. They have an inner membrane which helps
the inflated matress hold its shape. Then, there is
the outer fabric which keeps the mattress from
leaking.

Well, in Oregon, Rainmaker's thermarest developed a
small bubble where the inner membrane had ruptured.
Being very good with his gear, and in defiance of RJ
philosphy concerning those requiring a thermarest to
backpack, he opted to keep this one, and make it to
Canada with the same one he started at the Mexican
Border with.

Anyways, we had nights of mouse problems. At the
Waptus River, one little creature chewed its way into
our tent, dropping down onto my food bag, then did a
circle by our heads. I sat up, shivered and said" a
Mouse!" Within seconds, Rain beat it to death with his
fist, and flung his sorry hide out of the tent.

But, I was now very alert to small munching noises.

Several times, in various locations, I would sit up on
a lightless night, hearing the scratching, munching
noises. Then, I realized, the noises came from this
small Bubble growing. Each night, it grew. Like a
cancer, it took over the thermarest, yet, it did not
pop, and continued to hold air.

All the way to Canada, the entire state of Washington,
this Growth continued it scrinching, and scratching in
the night, until the size of a new born baby, it
occupied the space between us.It grew into the size of
a healthy two year old.

But, this same thermarest made the entire PCT without
being punctured, and now holds a place of honor, along
with all the other gear that made the entire trip.

memories from a trail of adventures

Brawny

=====
A  taste of the wilderness is better than a platter of civilization. To walk in the wilderness is freedom--
http://www.trailquest.net
Please note the change of website address.  Thank you.

http://www.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/ultralightersanonymous

---where the gearly afflicted gather