[pct-l] Spruce grouse

Here in New England, the spruce grouse is the boreal counterpart to the =
hardwood forest-dwelling ruffed grouse, and as such resides primarily =
above 4000 feet ASL. At these elevations, the land is steep, the weather =
harsh, and the forest nearly impenetrable. Predatorial wildlife avoid =
it, and so the spruce grouse hasn't had to adapt to a predator-prey =
relationship. Man is the spruce grouse's only significant predator, and =
so it's little wonder that hikers can get so close to one, and in some =
cases even get accosted by one. That's a big reminder that we humans =
have arrived faster than evolution can respond, that we are supremely =
powerful on a fragile planet and must exercise Restraint as the only =
antedote to destruction. Of course, the spruce grouse's acidic taste =
still serves as a big deterrent to hunting, and they can certainly bolt =
for it when they want to, typically inducing mild cardial infarction in =
any human within earshot.

- blisterfree

"It may be true that my desk here is really 'nothing but' a transient =
eddy of electrons in the flux of universal process. Nevertheless, I find =
that it continues to support my feet, my revolver, and my cigars all day =
long. What happens when my back is turned I don't know. Or much care. =
That's no concern of mine."  - Edward Abbey

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---